Trick or treating makes Halloween one of kids’ favorite days of the year. Please be mindful that as with everything else in life there is a right and a wrong way to trick or treat. It is only right that Scarlet helps you by giving you a few tips that will aid in knowing the right way to have fun and get the best treats during Halloween!
- Wear a costume… If you are going trick-or-treating wear an appropriate costume. Halloween is not an excuse to dress in a way that you would not normally. Masks are fun and often scare little kids, however most people answering their doors are not a fan of these. Wearing make-up is a great substitute for a mask.
- Look for a doorbell… Ring it once, and once only. If there is not a doorbell it is okay to knock, again once only. Give the people time to answer the door. Do not continue to knock and ring the doorbell. It may take a few seconds…relax the treats are coming!
- Say, “trick-or-treat”… It is why you are there, so say it happily. People at the door may ask questions and say things about your costumes. Answer them politely and smile.
- Say “Thank You!”… There is nothing people like to hear more than a ‘thank you’ when they are sharing with you. If your kids need a little prompting, do it.
- Go to a house once… It is not good Halloween etiquette to go back to a house you have already been to.
- If the lights are off the house is closed… This means that they have either run out of candy or they are not there.
- SORRY but if you have a driver’s license you are too old. The only exception to this rule is if you are taking a younger sibling trick-or-treating.