The holidays are quickly approaching, and during this time, many of us have a hard time keeping in shape due to the many dinners, shopping trips, parties, happy hours, and yummy office treats. One can gain up to 5 to 10 pounds during this time. However, one can still enjoy all of these joyous festivities and keep those unwanted pounds off, by following a few healthy tips.
- Plan ahead. Make a workout schedule. Workout at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes, and stick to it.
- Find a workout buddy, to keep each other accountable.
- Keep a food journal, so you can see what you have eaten.
- Google workout videos on YouTube or bodybuilding.com, that you can do at home or while traveling.
- Organize family workouts by signing up for a local turkey trot or Jingle- All the- Way 5K. Plan family football games, go for walks after dinner, and, if it’s snowing, have a snowball fight.
- Skip the elevator; take the stairs.
- Drink plenty of water before meals.
- Modify alcoholic drinks to one or two. Stick to wine or clear drinks. Beware of fruity drinks, they contain plenty of calories. Drink water between alcoholic drinks.
- Bring a healthy dish to parties.
- While at the party, do not hang out at the appetizer table while socializing. Go for veggies or water based appetizers first.
- Allow yourself to taste foods, but do not over- indulge.
- Have fun, dance at the holiday party to burn calories.
Melissa Blain, certified fitness instructor